The M102 did come with a twin cam when modified with a Cosworth head but standard is single. However due to design the camshaft 'vibrates' more than in other Merc motors, as an example the M103 does not eat timing chains as much due to being more 'balanced'.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Cathey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 3:46 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 87 Timing chain & GEARS replacement

The M102 does require chain replacement on a more regular basis.

Is that a twin-cam?  I'd expect them to be more hard
on chains as well.  I'm guessing you can pretty much
look at the chain path and figure how long one of MB's
chains will last.  (Ignoring defective designs like
the single-row 3.8 and defective materials like those
bad chains in the 90's.)

-- Jim