OK, have a few questions regarding the W140 S Class (S500).  I'm looking for
a car for my Dad.  I've looked at a few older W126 models, but most are
either rough, unknown history, or the old tin worm is starting to get to
them.  I've looked around for a SDL, but not many around up here.  I know
there has been much negative stuff said about the old W140, but I've always
loved the look of the car.  Also, they seem to have depreciated pretty fast
compared to some other models.  Ok, the questions.  What is the going range
for a nice S500?  What were the real problems with these cars, and did they
infact have that many problems, or was most of it due to lact of maintance?
I mean, were there problems with the important things like the engine, trans
etc, or was it more fiddly things like the auto door close latch, and
similar "toys"?    What are some of the problem areas on these cars?  My dad
does very few miles now that he's retired, but I'd like a big safe
comfortable car for him and Mum.  Gas mileage is not a really big issue.  I
now a coulpe of guys sell parts on the list, and there are a few mail order
places listed too.  Any of you guys carry parts for the old W140?  Also, any
places in Canada selling parts, other than the dealer?  I've seen a S500s
around lately.  Can anyone recommend a used car place in Toronto for such
cars.  The few I've seen at the dealer are WAY above what them seem to go
for in the market, and they weren't even anything extra special.

Thanks for any help, suggestions and advise.
Ed