Thanks Steve,

I'll stop by the dealer tomorrow and have a chat.  I have read the a/c on
these cars can be a problem, so want to make sure it's just a hose or
something, and not a $$ bigger part.  I probably take it either way, but
adjust the price accordingly.  I believe it was always dealer maintained,
and the book is stamped until they ran out of room. I'm getting a little
more exciting than I though I would about have a benz in the family again.
It's been a loooooong time.  Last one was a new 450 SEL. :-)

Thanks again.
Ed

On 28/03/07, Steve MacSween <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

on 3/28/07 14:09, E M at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Question is, the car has high mileage (320,000 KMS) but runs very
well.  It
> will receive very light use, about 3000-4000 KMS per year, but as the
trans
> and engine become wore, do you suggest rebuilding, or just finding a
lower
> mileage used engine and swapping it out.

Most important point is to have the car checked over. This is NOT the time
to go by your gut.

I did not see any response to your request for a good indie (maybe I
missed
it), but if I were you I would pay the bit extra and take it to one of the
Star Motors shops. Call the service manager and have a chat about it.

You are probably going to have to do top-end work before anything else,
but
if the checkover does not point out any major issues then I would guess
you
are good to go for a while yet.

Mileage is relative to maintenance, as long as a 320k car has had regular
scheduled work I would not worry too much about it. If the car has been
'stripped' of its log books then caveat emptor unless they find at the
dealer that it was maintained at a Benz dealer (hence in the system).

Mac