And, it's been shown that you evacuate more oil since the pan has a
slight ridge built up around the plug for strength.

All of this presumes that the oil filter is a cannister type at the
top of the engine.....don't know where the 300E filter sits.

On 4/9/07, Jim Cathey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm new the the benz thing, so the whole idea of oil changes from the
> top
> end is, well, a little strange.  As for draining from the bottom,
> amazed how
> many people have a problem.  New crush ring everytime, use a torque
> wrench,
> what's the big deal?.

That's the beauty of the sucker.  No crush washer, no torque wrench,
no oily hands.  No ramps, jacks, etc.  No removing the bottom noise
belly pan.  You can do the job in a suit if your engine is clean.

-- Jim