Mitch wrote:

"I don't care how old he is. If he showed up at the funeral of a member
of my family with his "rump ranger" graphic signs, I'd not quit beating
on him when he fell down, I'd make sure he'd do serious hospital time.
(and I don't think a jury would convict me in my hometowm) Mitch."

You theory was tested a few years in Topeka (where Fred Phelps lives and
practices his evil).  An older woman drove on a sidewalk for almost 100
yards crashing through his protest trying to run him over.  I think he
was barely clipped.  During her trial, the judge concluded that it was a
mechanical failure of the accelerator and dismissed all charges.  The
judge made this determination without anyone even offering this sort of
evidence.   I am sure it would have been different if anyone had been
really hurt.  But, I don't think Phelps would ever find a jury of peers
in Topeka.

To complicate matters, Mr. Phelps is an attorney (he was disbarred quite
a while ago. Every law student in Kansas studies the decisions of the
Kansas Supreme Court disbarring him during the required ethics and
professional responsibility course).

He graduated from Washburn Law School (the same law school I graduated
from).  He has 13 children. 11 of them are attorneys and 10 of them
graduated from Washburn.   1 was not admitted, so he protests the law
school also.   He protested at my graduation (he goes to all the law
school graduations).   His granddaughter worked in the law library while
I was there.  She didn't seem evil. But, I saw her protesting at all of
his places in Topeka, so I am sure being around him and all of his
hate-mongering has warped her.

Donald H. Snook