From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Levi Smith
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2007 11:51
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: [MBZ] Voltage

Just curious if anyone else has taken much look at their voltages.  I picked
up a cigarette lighter voltage meter at Wal-mart for like $15 that I'm
intending to use in some solar tinkering, but I decided to leave it in my
83' 300D while it's not doing anything else.  This has proved interesting.

Now, first off I don't know what's suppose to be in the car.  The dual-belt
alternator that was in the car when I got it died a few weeks ago, but the
car came with a working (wasn't sure till I got it on the car) used
alternator that I believe said 55amp Bosch on it, but it was a single pulley
until I figured out the right combination of spacers and nuts and the pulley
from the other one to get it to use that dual pulley.

I also checked it's readings compared to a volt meter on the battery and it
seems to average around .2V less than the battery is seeing.
But what I've seen is that basically with nothing on (except a fuel pump) I
think it might make it to 14v given enough time.  It stays near that level
with the radio on (though I can definitely see it kick on and I should note
that it has some crappy amp the PO left in there drawing power).  The gauge
reads to hundredths of a volt so I can see it when I turn the fuel pump or
basically anything on.
Turning headlights on is usually ok an keeps it above 13.2V usually.  (and
I'm basing most of these while running, not at idle)
The big sucker is the blower and worse yet with AC on.  Basically, it just
can't keep up.  If I have max AC on and I'm cruising the highway I can
probably hold around 12.8V.  If it actually gets things to a semi-cool state
and the fan slows a bit I can clear 13V.  Now, with headlights and AC on?
That's like 12V.  Now, come to idle with those on?  You're dropping into the
11V range for sure.

So, I guess my question is, is this normal for an old alternator on an old
car?  To my knowledge, your voltage is *supposed* to be at least 13.2V.  I'm
wondering if that actually occurs with a new/rebuilt alternator, or if these
old beasts just don't quite keep up no matter what...

Levi