With a few recent posts about Mogs, I thought I'd add my impressions
after my first ride in a Mog last week, 100 miles or so through the
Sierra Madres in Mexico. I rode a '58 former NATO troop carrier that
an outfitter takes touristas like myself for rides in. Had an '00 2
liter 6 cyl 75 hp gas engine in it, a replacement for the original
diesel. Vehicle was in excellent shape. Was overkill for the dirt
road cruising and occasional stream fording we did--my Vanagon could
have taken the same route (much faster!), tho a car could not have.
Max speed for that rig was 48 mph, which we never saw--hit 40 a
couple times, but any grade slowed us down very quickly, due to the
weight of the vehicle--we were very lightly loaded.

They are very large, heavy machines. Very wide-ratio transmissions,
with two crawler gears and 4 road gears. There is no doubt they will
go through anything at all, but the widely spaced gears, and in this
one's case, a high-revving OHC six and a very clunky shifter that
prevented quick gear changes meant that there was no chance you could
upshift on a grade of any steepness, and much of the ride was done
with the engine bumping up against the rev limiter. Impressed me that
it would be not nearly as fun to drive as my brother's 1942
International KB7--that's also also heavy and underpowered, but with
a low-compression, slow-turning, tourquey stroker of a six and ten
close-ratio gears, there's always plenty of tourque on tap and the
perfect ratio for whatever you want to do. Engine braking was also
awkward due to the wide gears.

But the ride was quite comfortable, considering, due to the huge
tires, and in spite of its great height, was quite stable. They said
they could ford 5' of water, due to sealed engine, snorkle, etc.
However, the battery went dead, and we all (6 of us) had to push
start it once. That was a kick.

So, that's all I know about Mogs. Street-legal tractor pretty well
sums it up, and I have no doubt they're a blast at doing real serious
off-roading, or playing with the various cranes, side-dump boxes, and
all the other toys you can get on one. But as a truck--nah. That's
kind of missing the point, I think, like using a stock MBZ diesel for
drag racing. Can be done, but why?

Dan