I remember riding a motorcycle in Phoenix summer. The heat would
radiate up off the roadway and raise the temp well over ambient. This
is when you really feel the heat of your engine too.

I recall on one trip from Tucson to Phx, I said to a gas station guy
that "I never want to see the sun again." Talk about the question of
whether light colors keep things cooler - I know that I would sooner
wear a white helmet than a black one - goofy looking or not.

Wearing a mandatory helmet in Maryland summers sucked too. The only
helmet I owned was a full-face.

Brian