It seems than at Mon, 23 Jul 2007 08:50:03 -0700, Jim wrote:

> This morning's Chicken Wagon update:

It's a W123, isn't it?

> I removed the failing odometer from the car.  I looked at putting
> cyanoacrylate glue on the shaft, and even tried a bit, but it didn't
> want to wick into where it needed to be and tried to sieze the shaft
> where it goes through the frame.  Things are just too tight there for
> the 'quick fix', I don't know how anybody does it without ruining the
> odometer.

One of my cars had been "fixed" that way. I failed to repair it.

>  Time for Plan B.  I removed the face of the speedometer,

You needed to remove the face to repair the odometer drive gear?

Maybe it's not a W123...

I have performed drive gear repairs on at least four different
W123 cars. I haven't ever needed to remove the face 'cause all
the parts are accessibly from the back.

> Next I removed the odometer drive shaft entirely, liberating
> all the plastic dials.

Wow. Every time I have done it I slid in a temporary shaft. A
drill bit has worked well, or a bailing wire.

>   The pot-metal drive gear (in the non-visible
> tenths position) was really quite loose, but sometimes would bind a
> bit.

This is the failure mode I have seen.

>  I then reassembled
> the shaft and dials, which was not easy.

Ya, I'll bet!

> I had to tap the
> shaft into its final position with a hammer as the knurling made for a
> tight fit.  After it was all together it worked freely when driven by
> my thumb.

>  We'll see how it goes!

I have put about 50,000 miles or so on a knurl-the-shaft repair,
use the tripometer  often (never for fueling. I can subtract and
the tripometer is too useful to tie up), and it's still working
well. One of the other repairs had at least 30,000 before the
engine broke some rings. I'm still not sure if there's a
connection between the frequent tripometer resets and the broken
piston rings....

> > Perhaps the previous owner of the 230TE, that odo came from
> > never used the reset button, no way of knowing really.
>
> Having just become intimately familiar with the guts of the
> offending unit, I can in no way see how resetting the trip
> odometer, moving or not, can place any significantly greater
> torque on the drive gear.  If it does, the amount is nearly
> trivial and the drive gear is already about to fail.  It
> takes _considerable_ torque to roll over a bunch of dials
> at once, that drive gear is supposed to be _tight_.

I agree with Jim.

But a 230TE - maybe you guys _are_ discussing non-W123s....

--       Philip, whose W108 is gone, so there's nothing but W123s now.