It's not using much oil at all. I have a leak at the oil filter lines
that attach to the block. And with this, the level goes down maybe a
pint every, well, so often. I don't put many miles on the thing - I
try not to drive very much. Am fortunate enough to be able to bicycle
much more than I drive.

Another note: I recently added oil. The level was just above the add
mark, and this with the engine completely cold and not run for a day
or so. So I assumed that if it were to be run and cooled and the level
checked, the level would be a bit lower. So I intended to add a pint,
which I thought would bring the level up to half way between the add
and full marks - where it should be, right? But I accidentally added
2/3 of a quart. So perhaps its being a bit fuller than it likes
contributes to the described smoking condition?

Brian
83 240D