On 9/17/07, Robb Taglieri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have a 1993 300E 2.8 with about 122,000 miles on it.  It recently went for
> NJ emissions testing and failed.  My HC tested at 150 instead of 100.  I am
> told that the cause of this is not the normal tune up but rather that
> something is defective.  the car had a tune up in the last 12,000 miles and
> I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

High HC means unburned fuel---the engine is running too rich.  A lot
of things can cause this, but the first to check for is a vacuum
leak---could be as simple as a disconnected line somewhere.  (Low
vacuum makes the injection computer think you're stomping on the
accelerator all the time, so it dumps more gas in than necessary.)

Alex Chamberlain
'87 300D Turbo