-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Peter Frederick
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 2:11 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: [MBZ] 87 300D did it's job, RIP

Dingdong in JE Sheckel service van blew at red light on the highway
this morning about 7:30 and totaled my 300D.  Hit the front door as I
drove across the highway doing about 60, wasn't watching the road
(duh).

I got away with some glass embedded in my left arm (gotta go have that
dug out in the next day or to, I think) and some very sore ribs.
Didn't break the fountain pens in my front pocket or bend up my reading
glasses.

Dash is completely crushed, had to break out the climate control
pushbutton unit and drive the side back to get the glove box open (my
brother did, I'm not able!) to get my stuff out, like the spare set of
rear pads I've not gotten around to getting installed.  A helpful
passerby found some long needlenose pliers (probably off the Sheckel
van) and turned the engine off, it was running about half throttle and
boiling (no radiator cap to keep the pressure off the cracked head).
The keys are about 6" inside the dash now, it's that badly crushed.
Climate control split in half and folded up, center vent crunched, what
a mess.

Front doorpost is pushed in at least 18", tire is lying over at 45
degrees or more (lower control arm not bent much if at all), door is
pushed in at least a foot. Windshield is busted, floor pan is VERY
narrow, console cover is torn up and shoved up 6" or so. I unbuckled
and climbed out the passenger side.

Other than the punch in the ribs I'm fine, got a cut from my exploded
coffee cup that flew out of my carrier bag.  Cell phone still works in
spite of being thrown onto the floor under the front seat from my bag
in the right seat, haven't tried the computer yet, but the bag was
still on the front seat where I left it.

I ended up pointing straight south rolling down the median from going
straight east, no skid marks other than my tires going sideways, I
don't think he ever touched the brakes.  Other driver was fine, airbags
went off, so that's good (although I'm NOT pleased at my car being
wiped).  Not a good feeling to look up and see a vehicle speeding
toward you less than 6 ft away and thinking, oh s.... this is gonna be
bad.

Didn't even black out, didn't hit my head, didn't bang my hip, knee, or
feet.

I feel much better about my mother driving a 300 TE, as much of a pain
as it has been keeping it running nicely (idle and AC problems, finally
fixed).  At least if she gets slammed she is unlikely to be hurt.

What a car!  Now I gotta find another one......

Peter