> How does this sound to y'all?
>
> About $750 dollars to replace the alternator, and the tensioner pulley
> and its shock.
>
> and about $160 to replace the thermostat.
>
> The alternator the guy wants to sell me is some $350.
>
> He won't accept outside parts.
>
> Is this price what I should expect?
>
> Anybody want to buy an 87 190D?
>
> Brian

I can't remember where the alternator was on my 603 300sdl (that's
assuming they're similar) but on the tensioner, you should be able to
replace it from the top with nothing more than the tools in the trunk.
  This I learned when the car began to shred its belt about 1/2 mile
from the dealer.  Considerate old girl, she was.

Now- the tensioner on a 103 motor car- a whole different kettle of fish.

TOny Wirtel