In a message dated 10/4/2007 11:49:36 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Just  ordered replacement starter for 300SD, and I cannot seem to find the
job in manuals.  Anybody know what job or even group # for this  project,
and
especially any tips or thoughts from personal  experience?

Steve,

For starters, I have no experience with the 126  chassis, so my input  is the
earlier 116 chassis diesel.
Should be similar.
You are correct, I just went through my shop manual (78-80 300SD) and no
mention of removing the starter.  I would start by removing the ground  cable,
then the air cleaner assy.  You can then reach down and remove the  big cable
nut (13mm) with two wires, and the small cable nut (8mm) with one  wire.  You
almost have to do this by feel but you must remove them first as  there will be
too much stress if you hang the starter by these cables.

Most diesel starters (very heavy) have a small 90 degree bracket that
supports the front end of the starter (10mm wrench/socket).  You must  remove
the
bracket to allow the starter to move forward.  (Note the coolant  drain plug in
the block, just forward of the starter.  If you ever plan to  remove this plug
(17 or 19mm hex) for coolant service later on, now, when the  starter is
removed is the time to break this sucker loose and then coat it with
antisieze).
The two big starter mounting bolts that pass through the bell housing into
the starter are internal hex of 10mm, I think.  I use about 30 inches of  1/2"
extentions and a breaker bar to go in over the back of the transmission and
onto these bolts.  ONE of our listers claims he can reach down over the  fender
and break these bolts loose using a stubby hex and a long box  wrench!  In my
prime, I never could imagine doing that!
NOTE:
Use brake cleaner to rid the hex sockets (and your tool) of any dirt and
grease.  You must have a good connection to brake these loose and you don't
want
to round one out.  Wear heavy gloves cause when these break loose, you  will
likely bash into something.  Raising up the car enough to swing a half  inch
drive breaker bar is almost a must for proper leverage.

At to the starter, I prefer one with a Bosch solenoid.  Good amperage  flow
is a must with a diesel and some of the after market solenoids are not up  to
the task.  Then compare the length of the new starter with your old  one.  If
you get one that is shorter, send it back, you need all the power  that a heavy
duty starter can provide.  And the bracket will fit.

Also, if the starter has a heat shield on it, put it back.  Hot soaked
starters are prone to hang up until they cool off again. Maybe that is the
reason
you are changing this starter!?

Finally, if your motor mounts have sagged, you may not have room to jockey
the starter out of the car. You might have to jack the engine up a little.   I
have been able to both lift the starter up through the engine compartment, and
 take it out down below.  As one lister mentioned turning the steering full
lock will let you clear the idler arm.

Good luck,

Jim  Friesen
Phoenix AZ