on 10/4/07 21:47, Curt Raymond at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Any opinions on the 280? How much gas are we really talking about here?

In my experience many wrenches dislike that motor, most of all in North
American form. Having driven one in Euro spec (with a stick in a 116, no
less) I can attest to its being really nice in the Old World spec.

No matter what the vendor says about the body condition, be scrupulous when
looking at a 116. They rot, not as bad as the 108s, but once it starts it
can gallop (depending on where the car is from, of course).

If you want a 116 gasser there really is no such thing as a fuel-efficient
option. If this car is the real deal (clued-in owner, sheaf of bills from a
decent shop, etc.) then by all means go for it.

I love the 116, and I miss mine.

--
"Mac"
Steve MacSween