I've got four 300D W123s. My intention this summer was to buy one and use it
to commute to the summer contract. Working seven days per, every time I
found a vehicle it got away from me. I wound up getting more aggressive and
(long story) wound up with four I bought on "good faith" (gentleman's
agreement, word as bond... yada yada)

Original intention was to convert one vehicle to a two tank system and burn
WVO that I have a sweet deal on.

The plan changed and I decided to put the mileage on a Camry which will be
out of lease in about a year. It's my mom's car and as she only logs a
couple of thousand miles per year, it just made sense to get the mileage out
of the lease (32 mpg).

As season is over I've just managed to collect the vehicles I bought and
start going through each. Ironic, the roughest one with the highest mileage
is the one I'm partial to. (1985 300D 322K navy/palamino)

My "criteria" on all of the cars was "if the interior looks like you let the
dogs chew on it don't tell me how the car is in great shape mechanically!"
Chances are if it looks abused it was.

Anyway, I listed one of the cars locally only after I asked the indy to go
over it thoroughly, new motor mounts, new exhaust, new fuel lines, a/c
service, new boots on the rear axle; If I were a car dealer I'd go broke!

I got responses from "kids" who had heard one can just pour some old fryer
oil in a Benz and never have another care. I refused to sell.

I'll probably have to make myself sell a few of the cars to afford a little
cosmetic work on the others.

If anyone's close to Asheville, NC and APPRECIATES (respects) the W123,
you're welcome to look or make an offer.