I don't know exactly, the Chinese stuff has sloppy bearings and screws
and stuff (sloppy being relative term to much higher priced machinery)
so the pundits say, some users tune them up a bit but they are still not
as good as the "real" stuff.  Grizzly has a gun lathe or two in their
catalog, they are BIG things and pricey.  No idea how those are on
precision.  I see lathes and mills for auction here in Houston
occasionally, they are big Bridgeport mills and some sorts of production
machine shop lathes, I guess the guys who are really into it buy those
if they have room.  There are some other brands that are European or
Taiwan or Japanese that are pricey and very good, you can get smaller
machines, but you pay for that.

--R