And I thought I had it bad when someone tried (and failed) to commit
vehicular homicide by inattention on me!

What a bummer!  I'm always amazed at the things people can do to each
other, usually without any thought of the consequences to their
relatives.  My sincere condolences, this cannot be easy.

By all means, take the children in.  They will need a functional home,
and while it may be crowded and possibly rather difficult (they did
just see their mother murdered after all -- expect some problems now
and in the future) they will be better off with you that anywhere else,
particularly foster care.

I shared a bedroom until I got a single room in the college dorm at 20,
this isn't a horrible thing.  I think I'm better for it, anyway, one
learns to live with other people and share more that way.  All of us
did fine -- two PhDs, two Masters, and an associates degree amongst the
five of us.

Peter