Tom Hargrave wrote:

> You also mentioned Tuff-Kote. I'd argue that since the rust through started
> showing at about when it should have in an unprotected car that the
> Tuff-Kote undercoating was worthless.

Yes, about normal. The Tuff Kote car was two years older than with my car,
and I washed mine weekly. OTOH, the Tuff Kote car had 40k on the odo in
eight years, mine had about 125k in six years. (51k in the first year)
Both cars kept in the Lansing, MI area, except for the year mine spent
in Champaign IL. If anything, they seemed to use less salt in Illinois.

It's been a long time since "rustproofing" offered any benefit over a decent
factory job. When you buy "rustproofing", you're really buying a warranty.
But it seems I didn't get one after I paid for it.

A friend of mine bought an F250 in October 2001 and took it to Zeibart.
Every year he takes it back to them, they clean it thoroughly, retreat it
in several places, and relieve him of more $$ (at least the Chrysler
inspections were free before they quit doing them for me). He has full
perforation around the wheel wells on the outside of the box. I should
ask him how this year's inspection/retreatment went. His truck is worse
off than my Horizon was at six years. He paid $35k for that truck and
intended to keep it for decades. I wouldn't be surprised if the body
on his 1966 F100 outlasts the F250.

Mitch.