It seems than at Wed, 12 Dec 2007 23:43:09 EST, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I had a 74 240D (stick, dark blue) on the West Coast.  We used to take  it
> skiing in the Sierras and I began to leave it run all day, about 8 hours or
> so.
>  I turned the idle down to about 300 RPM, which saved fuel,

It probably also increase cylinder wall wear. At least that's what
happens in the 12 and 14 liter engines. Thus nearly all of the big
trucks now have a high-speed-idle for when the engine is sitting for
long periods with no load.

> and also  helped
> with compression braking on the icy mountain roads.

Eeek!

Low friction road surface is the situation you _don't_ want engine
braking. All four wheels working together is the safest way to slow
down. The extra braking force on the rear wheel will cause them to
lockup early.

Obviously you managed just fine. *smile* And as ABS becomes more
prevalent it doesn't matter as much. And without a trailer the
consequences aren't as severe. But I couldn't just let that
misconception slip by....

And, if I'm nit picking already...

What you referred to as "compression braking" has practically nothing
to do with compression. The braking effort of the engine is caused by
it's inefficiency as an air pump. Any energy used to compress the air
is regained when the piston travels down.

> I am sure it never used a gallon, judging by how much the
> needle  moved.

That's similar to my experience with OM616 and OM617. I didn't
set the idle low, idling with no load doesn't use much fuel!

--                 Philip