On Dec 13, 2007 1:17 PM, Fmiser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What you referred to as "compression braking" has practically nothing
> to do with compression. The braking effort of the engine is caused by
> it's inefficiency as an air pump. Any energy used to compress the air
> is regained when the piston travels down.

That makes sense, although I've never heard it called anything but.
Clearly the term should really be reserved for Jake brakes.  I was
taught by an older generation of drivers for whom the practice was
commonplace when driving a stick shift, and I used to be baffled by
road signs saying "Compression braking prohibited"---how else am I
supposed to slow down?

Alex Chamberlain
'87 300D Turbo et al.