> Don is reported to have said...
>> the computer senses that the wheels are slipping.
> Actually sanders have been on locomotives since the very early days.  If
> you
> look at an old steam locomotive, one of the several "domes" on top is the
> sand dome.  The actuating system was automatic....when the engineer saw
> the
> wheels slipping, he actuated it...kind of like driving a 240D ;-)
>
> That small contact point is exactly why it was always fun to put a penny
> on
> the rail and see it get "smushed" by the train.  A couple of years ago,
> Union Pacific ran one of its old steamers down to Houston to take Bush
> '41'
> up to College Station, where his library is, for his 80th (I think)
> birthday.  It made a maintenance stop in Conroe and I took the grandkids
> over to see it up close.  It was a major event for a couple of young boys
> (and a much older "young boy" as well).  When they blew the whistle to
> start
> up, I couldn't believe how loud it was.  Lots of folks gathered round to
> put
> coins on the track next to the wheels.  The U-P guys didn't say anything,
> so
> I guess it did no harm.
> Royce Engler
Father was a railroader for 30 years.  Took us up in the steam engine cab
several times before his run.  Steam engines were not without their
problems.  Even with sanders, a long freight train would have to be taken up
hills one half at a time because the drivers (big engine wheels)  would
slip.  On a hilly route, that would really work the train crew.  My father
retired in the late 1930s and never drove a deisel.

When diesels came into service after WW-2, he was amazed at the number of
cars that could be pulled up a hill by a diesel; all because their were more
driving wheels and because the electric traction motor driven wheels did not
spin like the steam engine wheels.

Steam trains of that era were not kind to passengers.  When a train went
through a tunnel in the summer, the passenger cars would fill with coal
smoke.  Nevertheless, for a railroaders kid riding free on his fathers
"annual pass", it was always an adventure.  The "news butch" who sold
sandwiches, cokes, candies, small pies, etc. would let us ride a while in
the mail car where he kept his supplies.  Sometimes, if the train was
carrying money, there would a gaurd with a huge revolver on his belt.  We
hoped there would be a robbery like in the movies, with the gaurd fighting
off the bandits, but no such luck.

Sitting in the "smoker", a fairly large compartment with bench seats on each
side was an education for a kid since the men used bad language and talked
"men talk".  Often at night there was a poker game going on; sometimes with
fairly high stakes.
In 30 years father was never in an accident even though accidents were
common.  A year after he retired, he was on a train going to see his
brother, and the train wrecked.  He was thrown against the end of car but
only got bruised.
Those were the good old day; and then came WW-2 and everything changed.
Gerry