------------------------------------
> Probably because the electric motor provided smooth torque. The
> steam engine applied a lot more torque when the "wrist pin" was
> 90 deg from the crank arm - unless it was one of those odd-ball,
> slow-poke, gear reduction units.
>Philip
IIRC the pins were 90 degrees out of phase so that the "bottoms" of each  of
the double acting cylinders strokes were evenly spaced over each revolution.
I seem to remember that some of the big engines used in the Rocky Mountains
had reduction gears, and some had two sets of cylinders; but the line he
worked on, Louisville to St. Louis only used the basic steam locomotives.
If you, or anyone else, is a railroad buff, I can possibly send a picture of
his engine and crew; taken in the early 20th century.  He worked all crew
positions, engineer, fireman, conductor, brakeman, and flagman before the
unions organized the railroad workers into separate job categories.  In the
picture I think he was working as conductor.
Gerry