Well, what's most environmentally friendly is to GET OUT OF THE CAR and
walk (or ride public transit).  However, this notion is still political
suicide in the US (and Germany), where driving anywhere you want at any
time you want is conflated with political freedom.  They aren't the
same thing, after all, you are quite free to believe what you want and
express yourself (within the law) while riding the bus to work.

I spend about $200 a month (and rising at the moment) for fuel to drive
to work.  I'm quite certain that walking up the road a couple miles to
town and catching a bus down to work (especially over to the next town
where I'm contracted three days a week) would cost somewhat less.  To
say nothing of not having to spend two hours a day driving -- I could
read, do computer work, or etc. on the bus, rather than staring at the
road and dodging people trying to kill me (either I'm getting twitching
after that accident or people are paying LESS attention that usual
while driving -- don't go a day anymore without at least one vehicle
drifting over the center line toward me, correcting at the last second,
or someone taking off out of turn at a stop sign).

I'd weigh a lot less and probably wouldn't have high blood pressure if
I walked!

Peter