We had 3 a/c units hit at work a few months back. Just yesterday, a bishop in
Argentina that works with us (we publish Catholic books) let us know that there
is no point in calling as "they" have stolen the phone lines AGAIN - obviously
for the copper. That was in Argentina. So, it seems to be a world-wide
phenomenon.

Chris

Bill  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Had breakfast with my pastor last week;
thought he looked a bit like someone
who had a bad day or so.  Turns out thieves destroyed  6 AC units from the
church the morning before - including three we just had replaced for about
$15k.  $33k damage this time [$5k deductable].  From talking to the police
it seems that is going on a lot around here.  One church under construction
in our area had 12 units demolished, replaced them, and lost the 12 again 2
days later.  We have been trying to come up with good ways to make theft
harder, but that is lots of $$ also.  I'm thinking a large rattlesnake in
each unit might do the trick.   A couple of guys with a smoke wrench or a
decent cutter can get into about anything.   Too bad I don't have any use
for 6 compressors .  Is that sort of thing going on in the rest of the
country also?  My guess is that the thieves made @$600 on the scrap copper
for all the damage they caused.   Bummer.

BillR

Jacksonville FL

1981 300SD  297k miles, and happy it is not made of copper.

-1985 300SD, 369K km, "Wulf"
-1992 350 Ram Wagon, 1 Ton, 58K mi, "Der Abschleppwagen"
-1975 240D manual, W115, "Projekt-Wagen 1"
-1980 300SD, W116, "Projekt-Wagen 2"
-1985 300Dt, W123, "Projekt-Wagen 3"
-1984 300Dt, W123, "Projekt-Wagen 4"