that's exactly what i want to know.  there is this fundamental decency in
americans of northern european descent where if someone complains they feel
the need to be some concessions to them to be "fair."  many northern
europeans do not complain at all no matter how grievous the circumstances.

they therefore often fail to realize that that in most of the world,
complaints of "outrage" are just a tactical ploy.  when i deal with my
vendors, i will often scream over the outrage committed against me, but i
really don't believe i've been wronged and just want to get a couple of
bucks off.  somehow, for all their wit and accomplishment, germanic peoples
can't seem to grasp this and continually make concessions, thereby ruining
it for everyone.

when michael corleone moved out to nevada and was shaken down by the local
politician he knew to make him an offer of "nothing."  michael schmidt would
have made concessions and would continue to make them forever.

in summa, make no concessions to terrorists.  offer them NOTHING.