"dave walton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I have no problem for people accepting the personal responsibility
> to eating junk food and living an unhealthy lifestyle.  Should we
> extend that personal responsibility to the point that
> health-conscious people like my myself stop funding health insurance
> plans that perform the bypass operations, chemotherapy, and
> treatment for secondary complications that those fat smoking slobs
> bring upon themselves?

Yes, in fact it already works that way.  If you go out and buy an
individual health insurance plan, as I do, you get a better rate if
you are young, and not a smoker.  You can save a lot if you don't want
maternity coverage.  Even if you get insurance through your employer,
your employer pays the insurance provider based on claims history.  In
a small company, one sickly person with a lot of claims can really
blow the budget at next year's renewal.  This is not immediately
obvious if your employer averages the cost across all employees.

It's the idea that everyone is entitled to a one-size-one-cost health
insurance plan that has removed a lot of the consequences of unhealthy
behavior from the market.

Joe, a smoker who weighs 250 lbs: "man, I'm paying $X for my insurance
that's crazy"

Jim, his colleague, a non-smoker who weighs 180 lbs: "really?  I only
pay half that..."

Pretty good incentive for Joe to get healthy.

> Face it people. The Walmarts of the world are now pushing for a
> national health plan because it will save them money. It's only a
> matter of time. Hopefully the focus will eventually switch from
> treatment to prevention.

It will only make matters worse, by further removing responsibility
from the individual.  Why should I try to stay healthy when I can go
to the doctor anytime I want for "free"?

> We now tax polluters in an effort to force them to clean up their
> act. Is it any different to tax McDonald's for the increased costs
> they are causing the health insurance industry or to tax cigarettes
> for the costs of treating people with lung cancer?

Yes, because generally you can't avoid pollution as a matter of
personal choice.  What you eat and what you deliberately inhale *are*
your choices.

Allan
--
1983 300D