How hard is it to change the seals on the 603 injection pump?  Not the
ones on the injector lines that keep fuel in, but the big ones that
keep the oil in.  I've had a persistent oil leak down the side of my
IP for a year or so.  Changed the O-ring on the shutoff lever (thanks,
$3.99 Harbor Freight metric nitrile O-ring assortment!) but that only
reduced the leak, didn't eliminate it.  Now I think I've identified
the main leak point as coming from the outer edge of the bottom plate.
 I figure there must be a gasket or seal around the edge, though I
can't see anything.  Can I take off the bottom plate with the pump in
place, or does it have to come off of the engine (yikes!)?

Alex Chamberlain
'87 300D Turbo et al.