On Feb 20, 2008 9:51 AM, Jim Cathey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Can I take off the bottom plate with the pump in
> > place, or does it have to come off of the engine (yikes!)?
>
> If you can get at it, you can take it off.  See my (not complete)
> story on my 602 pump sealing job.
>
>         http://userweb.windwireless.net/~jimc/mb190d.html#ipseal

OK, sounds good.  I take it the 602 and 603 pumps are pretty similar
(modulo number of cylinders).  So there are no hidden gotchas and I
can hopefully just unbolt the plate and slap a new seal in there.
What I was afraid of, of course, was having to take the IP off, or
otherwise disturbing the thing's innards and making it necessary for
it to be retimed.

Alex Chamberlain
'87 300D Turbo et al.