Jim Cathey wrote:
> I did a little surfing, and found a reference to a _very_ interesting
> way of setting the timing, known as the "millivolt method."  That is,
> with engine idling measure the average voltage on the plugs and adjust
> the IP's timing until it peaks.  Millivolts?  Just my kind of animal!
> This appears to be measuring the voltage on the glow plugs with them
> acting as a thermocouple, some mention of a filtering RC network is
> required to average out the readings.

MercedesShop?  There was a HUGE thread on that over there...  At the end
of the day, I don't think it's useful for setting the timing.  It
basically boiled down to "is the highest combustion temperature really
what you want for ideal timing?"  "Possibly" is the best I can answer
that with.  Also, as I'm sure you're aware, measuring less than 20mV
with a standard DMM is pretty silly.

If you had something to measure thermocouples you could be alright
though (thats what the glowplug is acting as).

John