Well I just paid $3.79 for diesel today.  Pump cut me off at the $50
VISA limit on pay-at-the-pump transactions, and I was only 3/4 full.

Steam is pretty interesting, for one thing it is a very simple engine,
also there is much less need for a transmission since steam will
generate torque at zero RPM.

Interesting possibilites for recapturing energy on downhills and
braking, too -- since heat could go directly into the boiler not have to
be chemically stored into a battery.  No battery packs to replace --
EVER.

A big boiler full of steam would be pretty dangerous, but if you had a
small one that could rapidly pressurize on demand, in some kind of
"double hull" containment vessel, it ought to be possible.

Allan