Good thinking Don!

As near as I can tell, there isn't a nickel's worth of difference in
dollars.  I'd say run your Diesel as long as you like and curse the
fuel prices.  The cost of selling your Diesel and buying a similarly
decent gasser, then fixing it up ($1000 to 4000) will be higher than
the cost savings of Diesel over gas or vice versa.

If everyone would start calling their congresslizards and
Senatoreptiles and demanding that drilling restrictions be relaxed,
that Anwar be opened for drilling and that we increase domestic power
production by all means, then we might start to get somewhere.

At 09:41 PM 4/16/2008, you wrote:
>With the ever increasing costs of fuel, I feel the need to once again
>weigh the costs of operating the OM vs. the M cars. I'm currently
>addicted to the 124 chassis, so I'll limit the scope to the 300D 2.5
>and the 300E. I don't know what the fuel usage of the 300E is, so I'll
>calculate back to what it would have to get to equal the cost of the
>Diesel engine. If the 300E uses less fuel, it's the better choice. If
>it uses more, the Diesel is the winner.
>
>Based on my usual commute to work, I get 29 mpg in the 300D 2.5, and
>drive it 12,000 miles per year. At the current $3.94 for Diesel, my
>annual cost is $1,477. Regular is $3.24 at the same station today, so
>the 300E would have to get 23.8 MPG to equal the fuel cost of the
>Diesel car.
>
>Since it's unlikely that fuel has reached it's all time high, I
>re-calculated based on $5.00/gal. Diesel and $4.00/gal. regular. the
>years fuel cost is then $2,069 for the 300D, and the 300E would have
>to get 23.2MPG.
>
>So - the question of the day is:  how many MPG does a 124 300E get in
>real life - mixed city/highway driving???  Is there a significant
>difference in the fuel economy between the 103 and 104 engines in the
>124 chassis?
>
>--
>OK Don, KD5NRO
>Norman, OK
>"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics."
>-Benjamin Disraeli and/or Mark Twain
>'90 300D, '87 300SDL, '81 240D, '78 450SLC, '97 Ply Grand Voyager

Loren Faeth