Thanks all.  I write the reply using ">>>".  The general consensus is to
check the sensor(s).

OK Don wrote:
<rest snip>
Your situation isn't exactly like mine, and I have no idea how the
190E is wired, but I'd be looking for miss-wired or bad sensors -
there are several that are meant to prevent engine over-heating by
turning the AC off. I think yours is reacting to sensor input, not a
bad controller.

>>> I check the sensor input.  Thanks.

Craig McCluskey wrote:
Does it not run well on regular? If both the owner's manual and filler
flap say it should, something is wrong. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you
what.

>>> Owner's manual says premium gas.  Never tried on regular.  I did tried
>>> running regular in a full tank on my '99 E320 4matic which requires
>>> premium.  But, I consumed all on the highway Rt 80 in PA and portion of
>>> OH.  And then immediately fill it with premium.  No pings or lost of
>>> power on the 360 miles ride.  This was done at night when the traffic is
>>> less and cooler.

Donald Snook wrote:
Is it possible that you put too much R12 in it?  I think there is a sensor
on the high pressure line and when the pressure gets too high (which it
might when the temperature gets higher), the compressor shuts off.  I would
check the pressures (assuming you have gauges) and the pressures could be
too high or the sensor might be bad.
Is it cycling all the time?

>>> I had it measure, 2 lbs and 4ozs exactly stated on the front..  Yes, it
>>> cycles all the time when cold.  Thanks.

Peter Frederick wrote:
There is nothing wrong with AC, you have an engine running too hot problem.
The AC will be shut off when the aux fan comes on due to excessive heat, and
your main cooling fan is not working correctly -- you should NEVER see 100C
with normal operation.
You will have to find out why you are running too hot.  Could be a bad
thermostat, a bad radiator, a failed main fan clutch (they are electric on
the 190, I think).
You also need to check the condition of the fuel injection system,
particularly the status of the rubber hoses and the boot between the fuel
distributor air meter horn and the throttle body.  I suspect you have
serious leaks, causing persistent lean running and hence knocking on
regular.  You will also need to check the distributor, as I don't remember
if there is a mechanical advance in there (unlikely, but check, it could be
stuck)
You should be running at about 80C unless you are stuck in traffic and it's
over 110F with 80% RH with a good cooling system.
I would also replace the ACC temp sensor, it could be bad as the AC should
come back on when the temp goes down.