> Currently it comes of for a bout three seconds and goes off -- I've
> not checked yet (too many other things going on right now) but I
> think the clutch is slipping from oil tossed around by a bad front
> seal, amongst other things.

Should be an easy test, just shoot it with brake cleaner and
see if the situation improves.  Does the hub spin by hand
'easily'?  A compressor on the verge of seizure might be
expected to slip the clutch.  Is there any oil left inside
the AC system?  Our 190D ran dry and seized.  I disassembled
it and cleaned it up, it turns fine now.  (The system isn't
charged and in use yet, but I fully expect it to be OK once
I do.)  It appears that the Klima preserved it from any
lasting harm.

Hey!  I can see the eBay ad. now:  "Mercedes KLIMA relay tester..."

Anyway, if yours is binding up you could look at what I did:

http://userweb.windwireless.net/~jimc/mb190dlog.html#clutchtool

-- Jim