I have been having erratic temp readings and have tried several things
suggested to cure.  Last week my aux fan would not turn off, so after a few
hours I took the car to the shop.  My nephew opened the fuse box and tapped
on a relay and the fan shut off and the temps  have registered where
expected - at least most of the time.  A laser digital thermometer showed
that when the gauge said 120 no part of the engine or cooling system was
above 180F, so the problem seems to be with resistance somewhere.  Manfred
is planning a visit to Jax and we'll check things out.

I did have an unusual end of the week with it, though.  After the three day
event to get the injection pump straightened out, which resulted in a great
improvement in the shifting and almost complete stopping of the smoke, a
wonderful drive for a few days.  On Thursday it started shifting hard,
idling fast [but 750 - 800 RPM and not 7500RPM], and if the AC was on I had
to get out and push to get it going.  It did that until Saturday morning,
when it reverted back to a perfect lady.  Great shifts, able to keep up with
traffic leaving stop lights even with the AC, and just a really nice ride.
Elves, Dwarves, or whatever.  I'll still take it in for a once over, but I
really don't want anything different than this - except for it not to do
that again.  My Darling wife and I are planning a 5 day Memorial weekend and
I don't need something like that.

Does that sort of thing ring any bells?

BillR

Jacksonville  FL