You missed the part about him pulling up Ebay and being sent to phishing
sites.

Kubuntu is plug and play, requiring fewer steps to install (like silly
registration codes) than windows. You can download the cd @ kubuntu.org.
The interface is pretty similar. The only real trick is learning the
package system that is used for installing new applications (like
openoffice). It is pretty straight forward but knowing what you want to
install is the trick.

The real secret is learning to use your online help resources, the web
and IRC. You get LOADS of free support on the forums and on IRC. More
and better support than M$ will ever offer, free or otherwise. There is
a whole world out there ready to be learned.

-Rolf