When I went to get the car, necessitating signing a statement to the effect
that I was informed that the car was not safe to drive, the wife of the
owner [who does the front desk work] seemed surprised that I was going to
investigate having it fixed and not scrap it.  I took it to the welders, and
felt for a moment like I had tossed a live chicken into a pool of gators.
They drove it up on a rack over an open bay and 4 welders descended
[literally, they had to walk down stairs] on the RF tire area with someone
checking it  from every angle.  I had talked with the owner about the issue
of high strength and some poor welding in the past, and the critical nature
of this for it to be my 'forever' car.  A few minutes later the had
determined that they could indeed repair the cracks.  It would take about an
hour from getting the undercoating off and getting it cleaned up.  Estimated
cost about $55 - $60.  A far cry from the top I would have been willing to
pay.   Hopefully a good outcome, but I'll be watching that spot for a few
years.   I rest easier tonight, and tomorrow I will try to figure out
transportation to get it back to the MB shop to have the numerous fuel and
vacuum issues addressed.  Manfred made a huge difference with the sharp eye
on the throttle linkages.

BillR

Jacksonville FL

1981 300SD  301k miles