Having worked clsoely with Miller and Lincoln as a part of my former generator
work, you can't go wrong with either of these name brands, IMHO.  Just stay
away from the consumer big box stuff that they brand label and you'll be fine.

  There are boatloads of industrial welders out there for purchase if you watch
local equipment auctions.  You have to really know what you're looking for,
since there are variants even within model numbers for some manufacturers, but
if you're careful and patient you can find some nice older welders that are far
better than the consumer grade crap that's being pushed out these days.

  My pesonal choice based on limited use would be Lincoln for stick welders and
Miller for wire feed.  I welded many a piece of steel with an old Lincoln
"sausage" motor/generator welder years ago.  They were nearly indestructible.

  And definitely go for 220/240 whenever possible.  It allows you a much higher
heat range in most stick welders.

  Dan

Tom Hargrave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  If I were to buy a new welder, it would be a Lincoln 180C. Next choice would
be a 140C.

http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/literature/e7242.pdf

http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/literature/e724.pdf

Thanks,