A local mechanic here is selling a snake-oil contraption which makes
"browns gas" as well as tinkering with the ignition timing and he claims
it gets mileage improvements of over 100%. It is Dennis Lee's device,
and it is BS.

A good place to start the inquiry is by asking how much of the gasoline
which goes into the cylinders in your car exits unburnt. This arguably
represents the maximum gain you can make by simply improving combustion.
It is a very small number in modern, fuel injected cars.

Are internal combustion engines energy efficient? Not really. A lot of
energy is released not in the form of kinetic energy but of heat which
must be dissipated by the cooling system. But the 'browns gas" devices
do nothing to change that.

Lee

Tom Hargrave wrote:
> A small amount of hydrogen & oxygen (brown's gas) will improve the
> combustion process and will provide more power. Then you'll use that
> additional power plus extra to make more Brown's gas.
>
> Propane injection also works but its false economics. You burn less gas &
> more propane.
>
> All of these solutions were tried in the 70's & they finally disappeared
> when the public figured out that they were BS.
>
> The real issue is that whenever there is money to be made, there are more
> than just a few crooks out there waiting to take your hard earned dollars.
>

> That said, there is a way to use water to improve mileage, but not by much.
> We experimented with water injection in the late 70s. The idea was to spray
> a small stream of water through the carb when it was running. The water
> would mix with the air & would convert to steam in the engine, providing a
> little extra "push". The idea worked - I documented a 1 MPG improvement in
> my 1974 Olds Cutlass Supreme. Problem was, 1 MPG was not worth the trouble
> of maintaining the system.
>
> Thanks,
> Tom Hargrave
> www.kegkits.com
> 256-656-1924

Lee

If you would be unloved and forgotten, be reasonable. - Kurt Vonnegut