LWB250 wrote:
> At least they tightened things up so that nothing
> short of death can get you out of paying off your
> loans....

I thought the 1998 changes went too far. In the beginning, student debt had
no special status in bankruptcy, so all the smart JDs, and the MDs who
were smart enought to consult with JDs or CPAs, got their chapter 7s with
their diplomas. After all, how many graduate students have non-exempt assets?
It didn't take them long to make student debt non-dischargable for seven
years after the loans went into repayment. That, IMO, was a good way to
handle it, especially now that we have limits on who can file ch7. If we
could combine the pre '98 rules for student loan discharge with the post '05
rules for filing bankruptcy, I think it would be workable.
Under the current system, you can prove permanent and total disability to
the satisfaction of the Social Security Administration and still not be
able to get your student loans forgiven.

Mitch.