From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Allan Streib
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 8:06 PM
To: mercedes@okiebenz.com
Subject: [MBZ] bending steel pipe

I need to straighten a slightly bent piece of steel pipe.  It is the
gearshift lever from my Vanagon, which broke in two due to metal
fatigue.  The pipe is about 5/8" OD hollow steel pipe.  I ground the
two broken ends smooth, threaded them about 3/4" into each end and cut
a 1.5" piece of 3/8" threaded rod which I used to reconect the two
halves.  Then I welded around the seam with my MIG welder.

Problem is, the rod is still slightly bent, below the break.  Slightly
curved would be more like it, there's no distinct bend.  I plan to
heat it with a MAPP torch and straighten it out.  Once it's straight,
should I dunk it in water or let it cool in the air?

Allan
--
1983 300D

Checked by AVG.