Tom Hargrave wrote:
> I have DSL to my home office but friends are using Comcast. They see obvious
> slow downs in the evenings, probably caused by the neighbors plugging up
> their shared bandwidth with porn. The problem is that cable is a shared
> connection. You may buy an advertised 6 MB download but when your channel is
> busy, everyone gets throttled down.

DSL has the same problem.  You might have a 6 megabit connection to the
phone company's equipment, but the phone company doesn't actually give
you that connection to the actual internet.  A group of 24 or 48 homes
could all share as small as a single 1.5 megabit connection.  Although
most are much better than that, and if you're lucky they should be
making ones now that have a fiber connection for those 48 homes.
Basically, all that is guaranteed with DSL is that you talk to the
telco's equipment at that speed.... thats it.  Your neighbors can still
easily slow down your connection.

The important thing is finding out which company allocates their
bandwidth the best for your neighborhood.

John