FYI, Jan 5 saw the launch of the 400MHz Celeron both in the Slot One (SEPP)
and PPGA Pin Grid Array Versions (sorta like socket 7 but not).  Although
the celeron has its 'own' chipset - the EX, all the Celerons that we have
built have used a BX motherboard. All decent BX motherboards support the
Celeron in Slot One versions.

The PPGA motherboard uses a ZX chipset if I remember rightly.  How this
compares to the BX as far as performance is not aparent at this time.

I have several friends who are using Slot One Celerons for heavy gaming
(Quake, Unreal etc) and I have to say the 333 I saw (actually built) had FPS
rates comparable with a P2 +/- a few %.  The 300s and 333s can be
overclocked simply by upping the bus speed and it is VERY common to see 300s
running at 450.  The 333 requires a little more cooling to run at 500.

I would steer clear of the old cacheless 266.  I think It was the first
Intel CPU EVER to have an IComp2.0 rating LOWER than its clock speed and I
read several web reviews comparing it to a lowly 200 P55C.

If anyone would like us to build a GIMPS cruncher,  let me know.
Steve Gardner
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.pcavenue.com

>> 1) Does anyone know the preformance of a 266 Celeron, VS a 266 MMX P1 vs
>> 266 P2
>

>The Celeron 266 [and all slower, and Celeron 300's that aren't 300A] have
NO
>level 2 cache, so I suspect would get severely NAILED on Mersenne
performance.

>The Celeron 300A and all 333 and above have 128K of level 2 cache thats
full
>core speed, so perform quite comparably to the similar clock speed
Pentium-II
>systems (which have 512k of level 2 cache which is 1/2 the core speed).
>
>retail Celeron systems however often use the severely deficient 440EX
chipset
>instead of the 440BX, this can impact performance (plus they have very few
>expansion slots).
>
>> 2) I am buying a new PC, does the Celeron hurt preformance so badly to
not
>> be effective?
>
>If you get a celery 300A on a decent 440BX motherboard, not at all.
>Performance is excellent.  In fact, if you populate said 440BX with 100MHz
>capable PC100 SDRAM, there's a very good chance you can get it working
>reliably at speeds upwards of 450MHz.  The various system wide benchmarks
I've