For a machine with 64 MB and up, defaulting to ON during night hours
would seem OK
to me (I have 144 MB).

However, I assume that it will be possible to specify (change) what
hours are the
ON hours. I suppose that midnight to 06:00 would be fine for most
people, as a
default.

It should be possible for me to PAUSE the P-1 test when 48 MB is too
much for the
moment. If PRIME95 could do some other work while P-1 test was paused we
would be
more likely to approve of the 48 MB footprint.

Less than 64 MB should default to OFF at all times. I am afraid of
thrashing on
the small machine. If there is any point to doing Stage 1 processing (24
MB
maximum) without doing Stage 2 processing, this could be implemented on
machines
with 32 MB - 64 MB, during default (night) hours.

I have been looking for a method to determine how much RAM is "really"
available
(without using swap file), but have never seen it mentioned in any way.
This
includes DDJ and MSJ. There are many apps which would benefit from using
maximum
RAM without going to swap file.

Perhaps PRIMENET should gather machine descriptors (with permission, of
course):
processor descriptor from CPUID, L1 and L2 cache sizes, speeds, and RAM
size. I do
not have the Intel/Athlon manuals at hand, but my memory says that much
detailed
data is available from the processor, or from tables keyed to processor
step
value.

--
The Internet is a library the size of the world.