> GIMPS has always had a good reputation for not interfering with
> your normal work.  To preserve GIMPS' reputation, I'm thinking of
implementing
> the following.  In the Options/CPU dialog, prime95 will let you select the
> maximum
> amount of memory the program can use and the hours of the day it can use
it.
> The default would be 80% of RAM (divided by the number of CPUs) during
> nighttime hours only.

Um, 80%?  I have 384MB in this box.  80% of 384MB is like 300MB! I hope that
would be limited to the min/max amount of memory you need to do useful work?

Since I have 384MB, I would have no problem dedicating 48MB to this 24/7.

> Finally, the questions:
>
> Would we be better off disabling P-1 factoring unless the user explicitly
> activates it (knowing that most users won't read enough to turn it on)?
>
> Are there better solutions?  It would be nice if prime95 could detect that
> memory thrashing was happening and pause itself until more memory
> was available.  Can Windows programs do this?

Yes, you can get various statistics out of the system re: paging etc, but I
believe the exact method is different on win9X and NT/w2k.  I think someone
elses suggestion might be better, detect when the system slows down and back
off for 5 minutes or something.

I would think 20% or something would be a better default.  if someone has
128MB, thats 24MB.  If they have 256MB, thats 48MB.  if they have less than
128MB, they really can't afford to run this at all unless its on a dedicated
basis.

-jrp