On 1 Dec 2001, at 17:47, Alexander Kruppa wrote:

> Warut Roonguthai wrote:
> >
> > http://www.academicpress.com/inscight/11302001/grapha.htm
> >

> Look like the cat is out of the bag now - it's 2^13,466,917 - 1. Was
> this early publication indended? I thought the press release was due
> only after the independent double check completed, but then they quote
> Tim Cusak of Entropia, which makes it sound like an official
> announcement. Or is the official double check finished already?

Umm. If this is true I'm _very_ annoyed about the leakage. My
hope is that it _isn't_ true that the exponent is 13466917. "Official"
supporting evidence is admittedly thin, but that Mersenne number
has 4,053,946 digits - if that was true, I would have expected
George's initial announcement to say "over 4 million digits" rather
than "well over 3.5 million digits" (which would nevertheless be
true!). Of course I could simply be misreading George's mind -
possibly if he had said "over 4 million" it would have narrowed the
field sufficiently to make identification easy.

But is it _really_ too much to ask people to wait just one more
week for the official verification run to complete? Maths isn't like
politics, what's true today won't be different tomorrow...

I would strongly suggest that procedures are changed so that the
next time a Mersenne prime is discovered, no information at all is
released except to prior discoverers of Mersenne primes and any
others (at George's discretion) who might be in a position to do the
official verification run.

Incidentally I did reply to a request for information about M39 which
appeared on the NMBRTHRY list yesterday morning. I was very,
very careful to include no information which has not been released
by George in his messages to this list, and I made sure George
got a copy of my reply.

Irritated