At 08:45 PM 12/3/01 -0000, Daran wrote:
At 08:02 PM 12/1/01 -0000, Brian Beesley wrote:
>> I would strongly suggest that procedures are changed so that the
>> next time a Mersenne prime is discovered, no information at all is
>> released except to prior discoverers of Mersenne primes...
>
>As a matter of interest, why should prior discoverers be so privileged?

Various reasons, but elitism not one of them.

One of the reasons is to provide an opportunity to offer advice to the new
discoverer on how to handle the publicity... what kinds of, umm, "insightful"
questions the press might ask... and which answers are likely to make it
into print.

--Luke, who *still* manages to look foolish