On Tuesday 10 September 2002 19:09, Jud McCranie wrote:
> Yesterday I went from Windows XP home to service pack 1.  The speed of
> prime95 went down by over 2%.  Has anyone else seen this?  Any ideas on
> what caused it or how it can be fixed?

No, I haven't seen this. I don't even have a copy of Win XP.

2% is the sort of change which can occur when a program is stopped &
restarted without changing anything else. Probably the cause is a change in
the page table mapping (of physical to virtual memory addresses). It's also
common to find Prime95/mprime speeding up a little when an assignment
finishes and the next one starts compared with the speed measured when the
program is freshly started. This seems to happen on (at least) Win 95, Win
98, Win NT4, Win 2000 and linux with both 2.2 and 2.4 kernels, with multiple
versions of Prime95 & mprime.

>From what I've heard & read about XP SP1, I don't think there's anything in
it which should affect Prime95 running speed to any significant degree.
Personally I would not agree to the modified EULA which comes with SP1, as it
appears to allow M$ to take complete administrative control of your system.
However, that's irrelevant to the speed problem; in any case, not applying
the critical patches contained in SP1 is in itself a security risk.