Michael,
A couple of years ago I tried running the then-current version (18? 19?)
on a Win 95 486 and had a number of problems.  George was gracious
enough to try to help, but even with his suggestions I couldn't get past
the problems and so gave up on it.  The oldest machine I use now for
Prime95 is a Win 95 166MHz Pentium.

Of course, some others may be able to get you past your bottleneck...
Just one man's experience.

Best regards,
Dennis Pope