----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian J. Beesley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Gareth Randall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2002 10:10 PM
Subject: Re: Mersenne: Modularising Prime95/mprime - a path to broader
development.

> In the final analysis, the best deterrent to anyone who is deliberately
> submitting "concocted" results is the knowledge that they will
> (eventually) be caught out through the double-checking mechanism.

Attacks upon factoring, and individual tests, whether first-time or
doublecheck, while certainly possible, only delay the project.  They can not
result in a corrupt database.  However, the project is also vulnerable to
attacks upon the doublechecking *system*, for example, an attacker could
connive to submit a concocted result twice for the same exponent, both as a
first-time test and as a doublecheck.  From previous discussions, I know
that this is not trivial, but it remains feasible.

> Regards
> Brian Beesley

Daran